Monday, January 7, 2013

Student Safety

As a parent and now a grandparent, I watch our young people go out into the world and face all the dangers that we faced while growing up.  I do everything I can to get my own children to do the safe thing and the right thing.  We talk and I explain why you shouldn't text and drive.  Seat belts are a life saver, I tell them.  "Be cautious, take your time, and keep an eye out for the other drivers", is what they hear from me.  The youth feel like they will live forever.  Even if they do heed all that I say they still may face danger when a deer or another suddenly runs in front of their vehicle.  Some things can't be prevented.

It seems like a waiting game to see when they will start to act on my advice and direction.  This mission and effort is why I appreciate a career in education.  Teachers pursue a noble cause of steering our children in the right direction.  We test them.  The measurable tests check their ability to memorize.  The other tests that I value go well beyond multiple choice.  Critical thinking, creativity and collaborative skills also play a critical role in the lives of our children.  This does not get measured on any state test.  How do you demonstrate these things? We see it in all the extra-curricular activity and in those situations outside of the school day.  Sports, fine arts and jobs are a great way to see how well our youth can get along with others.

Another key indicator is to see how well a child can delay gratification.  Those that can wait and can demonstrate the best impulse control are likely to be more successful in life.  These are the people that study carefully, don't say the first thing that comes to mind in a social setting.  We see more and more study in the area of emotional intelligence and social intelligence.  I have heard that the number one reason most people lose a job is due to an inability to get along with others.  What does this have to do with safety?

In everything I do, I try to think about "beginning with the end in mind".  This keeps the focus on why we do things.  Planning and looking ahead are critical.  After being an educator for many years now I live by four agreements: be impeccable with your word, don't make assumptions, don't take anything personally and always do your best.  I fail at this often, but as long as I live, I will cling to these four agreements to help steer me through every situation.  

I can apply this to relationships, to driving safely, and even to projects at work.  These four agreements  serve me well in almost every circumstance.  My prayers go out to those that have faced trouble and difficulties.  As parents and teachers we must continue to care and engage our youth and each other so that we can be our very best.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment